Monday, January 27, 2014

Ink in her veins


Reading a writing inspirations book and drinking peachy green tea = bliss.

I have discovered that jotting down things I see around me- writing simply about life, the beat, the colors, the ebb and flow of humanity- gives me a new perspective. Since I have done it for years, it comes naturally. The notes on my iPhone mostly consist of bits of colorful scenes, overheard conversations, fragments of memories.

Writing doesn't have to be polished or grammatically correct to live, to create vivid pictures, to convey the rawest of feelings. In looking around and spotting things to write about, I have gotten better at seeing beauty in seemingly ugly things; spotting glimpses of light in the dark. I look back at my scribbles, and I smile.

I was in the doctor's office, waiting for someone.

A lot of other people waited too. A little boy colored wildly on a clipboard, the neon highlighters making a scratching sound in the quiet. He was waiting for his mom.

A man came in and leaned over the little artist. The boy looked up. "Hey Daddy," he said. "How'd you get in here?"

The man smiled. "I'm magic," he whispered. The boy stared incredulously. "Why are you magic?" The man shrugged. "I was born that way."

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! Inspiration comes from the most interesting places. :) And there is inspiration all around you if you look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading a book now: Goodbye to a River by John Graves. It stumbles around (it seems) and I have found myself rereading for clarity. However, the message and imagery are compelling, haunting even and I wonder how he did that - seeing beauty in seemingly poor writing style.

    ReplyDelete