Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Am I addicted?

This happened to me the other day. I looked just like this except with more hair:

[via Pinterest]
I have a sneaking suspicion that I am actually beginning to like running. I might even enjoy it. Despite the ungodly hours I have to wake up at and the oven-like heat and the sweat and pain and tears, I want to do it again and again. I don't understand.

My change of attitude may be influenced by one of the following:

-I am learning to control my breathing better. With some great coaching (thanks Dad), I have been figuring out how to recover my breathing without walking and losing momentum. I don't have to double over and huff and puff like the wolf in the Three Little Pigs. It's great.

-I made it to the 5k distance mark. I couldn't believe it. Up till that point, I could run about a mile before my brain realized what was going on and my lungs bailed on me. BUT one fateful day (last Thursday), I hit a mile and kept going. And going. I had to stop once for about a minute to get rid of a murderous stitch but I wasn't done yet. It felt like a dream. A blazingly hot, achy, sweaty, painful dream. I sprinted the finish and my legs felt suspiciously noodly at that point, but I made it. And then I did it again two days later and even cut a minute from my time. Not going to lie, IT FELT AWESOME. 

I think I'm addicted.

This is my new mantra for my training runs:


[via Pinterest]
I like it because it doesn't even give tears of frustration as an option so I feel like they'll never try to make an appearance. They almost did - once - on one of my earlier runs when I had to do recovery walks every two minutes. I actually briefly considered stopping and sitting down and crying. But then I thought, salt water + sweat in my eyes? Ugh not even worth it. So I didn't bother. I am glad about that. I wouldn't want to upset the turtles. (Clarification: on one of my running routes there is a bridge over a stream that is inhabited by an enormous crowd of friendly turtles. They swim eagerly over to  the bridge and I say hello to them.)

If you have any turtles in your life make sure you say hello to them today.

Sending sprinkles of sunshine your way.

Love, Celia

1 comment:

  1. For some reason the email notification for you last two blogs went into my spam so I missed them. I am happy to hear that you are doing well with your running (thanks to your good coach). I was never a runner but did a few 5k runs for charities. My brother, who ran marathons told me that I was trying to run too fast too soon. He said that I could tell I was at the right pace if I could talk as I ran. It slowed me down, but I found that I did not have to run - rest - run - rest if I did what he suggested (I think people thought me strange, running and talking to myself when I was alone). I like Jillian Michaels, but she is a tough trainer for sure. I do have turtles in my life, but they are snapping turtles that come into our place from the pond across the street, and I usually only greet them from afar. Thanks for the sunshine........Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete