Sunday, August 31, 2014

Purely for Your Amusement Series: Living with Cats


As long as I can remember, there has always been at least one cat in the house- they are practically fixtures. Fixtures with fur and an attitude, of course.

Cats are, without question, my favorite domesticated pets. They are clean and soft with beautiful markings, and they all have unique personalities. When I go to someone else's house and I see a cat peacefully napping or lurking around a corner I'm always like:

{Source}
It's not that I don't like dogs, because I do. We had a very lovely dog when I was growing up. Her name was Cocoa and she was perfect. Admittedly, she was obsessed with woodchucks and had a deep hatred for delivery men, but there are worse things, right?

Dogs are fine pets, but I wouldn't choose to own one at this point. I just can't get behind the whole house training-walking-barking-jumping-licking thing. And also I get really freaked out when dogs growl at me.


Of course, there are downsides to owning cats as well. They can have terrible attitudes...


Also, doing normal things like reading sometimes become complicated when there's a cat around.

At the end of the day, it's really nice to have a warm, purring fur ball curled up next to you on the couch. Cats don't care if you're being grumpy or unsociable...they'll knead their claws happily in your lap anyway. And gaze at you lovingly and unblinkingly. No, really, they literally don't ever have to blink because they have a third eyelid.

I think I just kind of ruined the point I was trying to make.

I'm going to be done now.

Have a great rest of your Labor Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Just got back from an antique motorcycle swap meet in Iowa and am catching up on your blog. Interesting outlook on cats. I will never have a cat, because my son, although he doesn't live here and my son-in-law are allergic. The real reason is that in the summer of my senior year in high school I had a job at the University of Rochester taking care of 200 cats (and 20 squirrel monkeys) 10 hours a day. I figure I changed enough kitty litter that summer for a whole lifetime. My neighbiors here have three of them and they are outdoor cats who come to visit at least once a day. They have trained my wife to give them special treats. They also have a rescued lab that comes over from time to time with them and he also knows that my wife has treats for him (he is a vegan). The cats have also been know to leave a treat at our house (mice, moles, chipmunks). When the neighbors tried a "cat door", Stitch (the real hunter) brought home a couple mice still alive and let them go in the house, lots of excitement that night. So the cat door is closed and they have to wait for someone to let them in. I hope all continues well in Houston and I'll bet the pool is getting a lot of use.

    ReplyDelete