Saturday, September 13, 2014

Purely for Your Amusement Series: At The Movies

{Courtesy of Pinterest.com}

I don't go to the movies very often. Unless there's something in particular that I really want to see, I just wait till the DVD comes out. Though I have to admit, there is something special about going to see a movie on the big screen. I know the experience is not what it used to be and the commercials and previews are practically miles long, but I still like it.

Can you believe the snack menu they have at most theaters now? It's not just popcorn and pretzels anymore, it's vast and imposingly greasy meals. I don't usually go for anything of great sustenance, partially because of the glaring calories plastered next to the menu items but also because it'll be gone by the time you get through the previews anyway- even if you're a slow eater. So I usually stick with my favorite fallback, Sour Patch Kids Watermelon Gummies. I search for them among the boxes of Junior Mints and Malt Balls and Cookie Dough Bites (who eats those anyway?), and then, I spot them and my face probably involuntarily sparkles.

{Courtesy of Pinterest.com}

I never get popcorn, because I don't like it. I have gotten countless, befuddled looks from people when I share that fact. I'm used to it now.

As a rule, I tend to stay away from seeing scary movies. I am okay with reading moderately scary books, but movies are a different story. I know that some people like the adrenaline rush you get from watching a horror movie, but I can get a perfectly sound adrenaline rush from riding a sizeable roller coaster. And also when I scream my I-think-I-might-die scream on a roller coaster, it is outside and not in an enclosed space like a movie theater. I'm already a little freaked out about going around in the dark so I don't really need my brain feeding me scary images from my movie memory bank.

[Please tell me I am not the only one who does this]:


Of course, watching movies with friends makes it much more fun. You can share snacks and laugh and cry simultaneously. Also, you can confer on which movie you saw that actor in so you don't hurt your brain...

{Courtesy of Pinterest.com}

I am determined never to get too old to watch kids movies. I went to see Frozen and the How to Train Your Dragon movies and enjoyed them immensely. I also saw both Planes movies. I have to admit, I did not like those as much. I just can't get behind the talking vehicles and aircraft.

{Courtesy of Pinterest.com}

Sometimes, I like to re-watch movies that I loved when I was little. It is usually fun, because you notice things that you didn't understand when you were younger- deeper emotions and beautiful themes. Unfortunately, there can be unpleasant realizations as well:

{Courtesy of Pinterest.com}

Well, I'm going to get back to watching The Amazing Spiderman. Thanks for reading. Signing off and heading to the kitchen get a crunchy snack.

{Courtesy of Pinterest.com}
Love, Celia

1 comment:

  1. We went to the movies a week ago for the first time in a long time. We saw The 100 Foot Journey and found it very entertaining. Unlike you popcorn is my weakness. However, that said I cannot believe the cost of the popcorn, soda, and all that candy you mention. Since we do not go often we sometimes get the big bucket as there is a free refill, which I get on the way out and take home.The other bonus is that I have a Regal Membership card. This time I got a free small drink and a free movie ticket the next time good till the end of the year. Looks like How to Train Your Dragon is also on your radar. Our grand kids enjoy that too, although once in a while Max hides behind the couch until the leaves the area. I read your sister's blog from yesterday and it is great that you guys can hang out together. Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete