Sunday, September 28, 2014

Purely for Your Amusement Series: Naps


I have found that naps can be a bit of gamble. Sometimes, I wake up from a nap ready to write a novel, clean the entire house and paint a masterpiece. Other times, I wake up feeling like I got hit by a truck. These are a few types of naps I have experienced- perhaps you can relate, dear reader:

The Blindsider - When you get assaulted by an overpowering urge to shut your eyes and there's nothing you can do to stop it. In these instances, you may fall asleep in strange places or uncomfortable positions and wake up with a stiff neck.

The Purposeful Catnap - When you're feeling all organized and responsible, and you set an alarm to make sure you wake up in exactly twenty minutes. Or maybe even ten, if you're especially ambitious. These types of naps are useful for when your schedule is tight, but I have not found them particularly invigorating.

The Irresolute Siesta - When you're laying around and decide that perhaps you'll try to take a nap. You have trouble falling asleep and wake up at every sudden noise. I have had some extremely odd dreams during these types of naps.

The Collapse into Oblivion - When you definitely don't remember falling asleep and wake up in a slight panic, with no memory of what day it is or why it's dark outside. After waking up from these types of naps, I tend to feel unsettled and look like death.

When I was little and totally oblivious to the wonders of 1 and 2am and late night cups of coffee, I considered naps a total waste of my valuable playtime. Since then, I have grown to appreciate sleep, even though I do not always take advantage of it as much as I should. I had a Blindsider nap this afternoon and I looked just like this when I woke up:

{Pinterest.com}

Happy Monday!

Love, Celia


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your list of Naps. The only one I am really familiar with is the Blindsider. I find sometimes when I am reading in my recliner I am on the same page in my book for half an hour or even and hour. That usually happens in the afternoon. The other time that happens is later in the evening when I am watching TV. I waken to find that I did not see the end of the show I was watching so do not know what the car or motorcycle they were restoring looks like, or how the project in the home they were doing came out. That is very disappointing and usually a good sign that it is time for bed. Hope you have a good week. Love and hugs.......

    ReplyDelete